Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Turn Off the Music

Our home is rarely quiet.  I often listen to Christian music throughout my day.  The lyrics in the background of my day often serve as a gentle reminder of Who it is I need to draw my strength from.  It’s also a great time when songs the kids and I love come on and we can turn up the music and dance!

One day, I turned the music off as I was cleaning and the kids were playing.  As I cleaned I could hear them in the room beside me playing, imagining and laughing.  They had built a house complete with a bathroom in one corner of the room and a bed in the other.  They strolled around with backpacks and babies.  Then they came to the room where I was and told me that I was the “church lady” and they were coming to church!  I pretended to be a “church lady” to the best of my knowledge of what that even was.  As I was concluding “church”, Peyton said “MOM!  You forgot to collect our offering!”  I collected their offering (in case you’re wondering, their offering was Nerf discs) and they packed up their babies and went back to their home.  I continued my work as I listened in on their pretending.  It filled my heart to hear them, so realistically, pretending to be parents with babies of their own.  I realized that if I would have had the music playing that day, I would have missed out on those precious moments.

Do you need to turn the music down in your life?  
What it is that you have turned up so loud that you’re drowning out the voice of God?  

There are times when the music needs to play on but some seasons in our lives require us to push the “off” button and simply listen.  The “music” in your life may be literal music, it may be your own thoughts, it may even be your own voice, there are numerous things that it could be.  Whatever it is that is distracting you from hearing from our Heavenly Father, turn it off.  It is worth so much to have moments of quiet and hearing.  God clearly speaks through His creation, it’s time we begin to listen more carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment