Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Cookie Cutter Faith

The kid’s and I made sugar cookies yesterday!  It is always a favorite time in our home when we get to bake together and roll out the dough and cut all sorts of shapes.  My mom and I always had such fun times baking these cookies together and now I can share that with my own children.  This time, as I added the flour to the mixing bowl, Jayden leaned her head over to look and “POOF!” - a cloud of flour burst right up into her face!  She looked up at Peyton and I with a white face and we burst out laughing together!  Each time the kids and I are baking these and the flour is a cloud in our kitchen, I hope my children will someday share these precious memories with their own little ones!

The recipe is one that was passed down from my grandma. It isn’t an exact recipe so it has taken me years to get it right.  At first I would add too much flour and they would become dry, then I wouldn’t add enough.  As a child, I never liked the icing, which was more like a frosting, so instead we used sprinkles.  I have recently found a recipe for a glazed icing that is delicious and we use it now.  With the improvements, I believe the cookies taste and look much better.  We also have a giant pack of 180 cookie cutter shapes!  I don’t think they had those in my grandma’s time!

More important than her recipes, my grandma passed down her heritage of faith to me.  I remember going to church with her each Sunday.  Hearing her play the organ was one of the most beautiful things my ears have ever heard.  I loved sitting on her lap as she would sing to me.  She was a woman of great faith and she loved the Lord with all of her heart.

Just like our sugar cookies have improved over the years, I hope the faith that I pass to my own children will be an even greater one than what was passed down to me.  And I pray that they find an even greater faith and pass it along to their own children!

What kind of faith was passed down to you?  What kind of faith do you wish to pass down to your children and grandchildren?  I know I don’t want to pass down a cookie-cutter faith!  We should be passing down a faith that is continually growing with each generation!

No comments:

Post a Comment