Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Fly Away Home

There are moments in our lives when we slow down and live like we are to live.  Moments when we breathe deep to just know we are breathing.  When we realize the fragility of our days being numbered, of our lives being but a mere breath, a blinking of an eye.  Because when the ones we love dearly are so close to grasping the hand that formed them, we soak in every moment knowing any moment will be their very last.

There we all gathered, soaking in, breathing deep, bending over to gently move her snow white hair, to hold her frail hand, to pour our love out to the sweet soul readying for Home.  Because deep in us we know it is time.

There she lay in her earthly tent longing to be clothed in her heavenly dwelling.  She was all tucked in under the warm green blanket.  One after another leaning in close, tears flowing into the crisp sheets, every one pressing hard into a God who faithfully bottles every tear.  And there it was, just hanging above her bedside, catching my eye over and over...

A picture of a monarch butterfly, all in its beauty, all just a moment from taking flight.

Isn't it true of the lot of us Christ-followers?  We are tethered here to this ground as we daily transform to the likeness of Christ.  We are bound and wrapped by the in and out of what we call life and living: days we feel our burdens pressing tight against our hearts that long to fly free; days when we feel all but trapped in constant pushing and pulling of hardship and trial;  days when our beauty feels too hidden, too far away from anything worthy of glory; days when we feel we hang by so little, that we may break down, and in the breaking down, maybe break through...


Then, one day our day comes.  That sacred moment we break forth our wings and prepare to fly away.  We make it there to the moment we have pressed on toward and just like that...

 We fly away Home.

To find peace in knowing that our wings take flight high above any hardship, any pain, any suffering, any thing this world has to offer. 

We fly to the One calling, now being able to reflect all the glory of Him. 




"Well, this is part of life I guess..."

The old Farmer he holds on tight, strong and sure, and eyes glazed.  His mama sure did raise good ones.  Then he whispers God-words right into my ear...

"I love you... always."

Yes. He loves us. Always.  

And it is through these times of deep sorrow that we need that Truth to ring loud and clear.  Those are the words that will help us find our wings. Those are the words that will lead us Home.


"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at Home with the Lord."
2 Corinthians 5:8




"I'll fly away, oh glory, I'll fly away
When I die, hallelujah by and by, I'll fly away
Some bright morning when this life is over, I'll fly away
To a land on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away
When the shadows of this life have grown, I'll fly away
Like a bird from these prison walls, I'll fly away
Oh how glad and happy when we meet, I'll fly away
No more cold iron shackles on my feet, I'll fly away
Just a few more weary days and then, I'll fly away
To a land where joy will never end, I'll fly away."

"I'll Fly Away"

No comments:

Post a Comment