Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Joy In Freedom

Towards the end of the winter months, the walls of our home always seem to be imprisoning.  The kids argue much more as they are in need to breathe in the fresh air, feel the grass on their toes and feel the freedom of the outdoors.  Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day.  I put the kids and our dog in the car and headed down the road.  As we got closer to our destination, Peyton announced “It’s the park!!!!!  We’re going to the park!!” and his sister squealed “Yay!!”  As the doors of the car opened, the kids barreled out and ran as fast as they could.  The pure joy they felt was more than enough to stop me in my tracks.  I stood at the entrance and watched as my two little ones ran from the bottom of one slide to the next, so excited they weren’t sure where to begin!  Peyton ran, jumped off a pile of mulch, fell flat on his face and rolled over giggling!  Jayden just ran in circles, looking at everything the park had to offer squealing as happily as could be.  At one point they each started jumping up and down, saying “the park, the park, the park!!!”  Even the dog was happy to be out of the house.  She rolled in the grass, ate the grass and ran along side of me back and forth between the kids.

Their joy was contagious.  I found myself immediately forgetting any worries or cares and basking in the freedom I also had at the park.  What pure joy two watch my children literally jumping for joy!  It was joy hearing the squeals and laughter. As I played with my little ones, God reminded me of His love for me and of mine for Him.  He reminded me of the freedom I have in Christ and the joy that I should feel because of it.  When Christ enters our heart, we are made free and the walls of our past (the wounds, the guilt, the prisons, the chains) come down.  “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”  Galatians 5:1  The following quote was brought to my mind:

“People in love act much differently than people with a sense of obligation.  People do crazy things for love.  Love has a way of making even the most difficult tasks feel simple and joyful.  It has a way of pushing us to act with complete abandon and devotion.”  -Francis Chan, Living Crazy Love

The picture in the park is what I believe he means by living life simply and joyfully, with complete abandon and devotion.  We need to find ourselves falling in love with our Father and the freedom He has given us to the point that we elude joy!  So much so that when others are watching, they can’t help but be overtaken with that same joy!  We need to wholeheartedly focus on God, following Him, thanking Him and praising Him.  When our focus is on God and the freedom He has given us, the weight of the world will no longer bring us down.  My devotional recently read this “From the beginning of time, beloved, I chose you.  I have loved you and have held your best interests close to heart, but I will not force you to choose me.  The decision to obey me or reject me is yours…This choice is a matter of life and death.  Chose me, and you will choose life - an abundant life, filled with my love, my grace, my mercy.  I am life!  I offer it to you freely.  Choose me - and live. This day I affirm that I choose you, God.  I choose to love and obey you this day.” - Heaven Calling.  I pray that you will choose God today.  Choose to be joyful regardless of your circumstances.  Choose to love him with complete abandon and devotion!

“Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises!” Psalms 98:4 (ESV)

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”  Matthew 22:37

No comments:

Post a Comment