Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Hammering Our Flesh

“…hammered the nails into His flesh…”

As I read those words they reminded me of all the times I had to “nail” my fleshly wants and desires to the cross.  Also of the times I have watched those I love agonizingly do the same.  Letting go of our flesh (our personal wants, desires, addictions, self-protections, etc.) can be such a painful process but it is one that is necessary to line our hearts and lives up with the will of our Heavenly Father.

We can often times be in so much pain during these times that we feel our God has forsaken us.  Jesus was crucified with two other criminals and we can choose to take on the attitude of the criminal or of our Savior.  “One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him:  “Aren’t you the Christ?  Save yourself and us!” Luke 23:39  Have you ever said something similar when you were struggling?  “If you’re God and you’re real, then save me from this!”  or “If you don’t get me out of this, I’m done!”  I know I have been there before.  Instead, when we’re feeling the most despair, may we remember that He has promised to never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).  “Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father into your hands I commit my spirit.”  When he had said this, he breathed his last.” Luke 23:46  In those moments when we feel like we can no longer move on, we must know that our deliverance is right around the corner if we will only cry out to our Father.  It was shortly after when Jesus’ resurrection and a new life for all of us came to pass.

When we allow our flesh to be nailed to the cross in a necessary act of humble obedience we must trust our Faithful, Loving and Good Father to guide us, comfort us and create change within us.  The most change occurs in our hearts when we are hard-pressed and choose to trust Him once more.

“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.”  Luke 9:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment