Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

A Snake and a Rainbow

About a week ago my boys were outside in the evening.  A snake slithered up our front walkway.  We very rarely see a snake and the few times we have it has been a small gardener snake.  This was not a garden snake, we’re unsure of what kind it was.  Randy and the neighbor boy caught it and Randy chopped the head off of it.  As a mother, of course I began the “mother process” of thinking:  “is there any more snakes where that one came from?!” and on and on (mother’s will know exactly what I mean!).  The next day Randy and I were talking about that experience.  In the Bible, Satan takes on the form of a serpent.  The serpent is the one who convinces Eve to eat the forbidden fruit which was the beginning of sin.  “And the Lord God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, you are cursed above all animals and above every living thing of the field; upon your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.  And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her Offspring; He will bruise and tread your head underfoot, and you will lie in wait and bruise His heel”  Genesis 3:14-15 There is a lot to these verses because this is the beginning of the Promise of Christ’s victory over Satan.
Randy and I have been faithfully waiting for God to reveal to us and lead us into our “new normal” and the new thing He has planned.  The ministry is doing a Beth Moore study on believing God.  We believe there is something great in store just around the corner.  This is a red flag for Satan to get to work.  When he knows the Lord will be blessing someone, he goes directly to work to stop it before it happens.  As Randy and I talked about that snake beside our doorstep.  We truly believe it was a sign that the enemy is lurking and trying to get in the front door.  He absolutely has been putting up a good fight but our hearts know that our God already has the victory!  I am believing that God’s promises are true for our family and that we will have victory!
God speaks so often speaks clearly through the purity of a child.  Peyton has been drawing rainbows consistently for days.  They were beautiful in my mama eyes but I didn’t see or appreciate them for anything beyond that.  A rainbow is a sign of God’s covenant and promise.  “I set my rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be a token or sign of a covenant or solemn pledge between Me and the earth.”  Genesis 9:13.  God was trying to get my attention and to speak over my struggles but I wasn’t listening.  A few days ago, while struggling myself, I was emailing a friend who confided in me with troubles of her own.  The kids were coloring behind me at their desk.  I was praying for strength and victory for both of our families.  God reminded me of a verse I read in my quiet time that morning, “I saw the Lord constantly before me, for He is at my right hand that I may not be shaken or overthrown or cast down [from my secure and happy state].  Therefore my heart rejoiced and my tongue exulted exceedingly; moreover, my flesh also will dwell in hope.  For you will not abandon my soul…”  Acts 2:25-26.   As I typed those words to my friend Peyton came over and said “Mommy I want to hang this up…”.  I turned to see what picture he had drawn and God got my attention this time.  There he stood, my boy who God so often speaks to me through, holding his newest rainbow, a hole punched in the top of the paper and his toy snake’s tail tied through the hole.
The enemy’s been defeated, he was defeated through the death and resurrection of Christ!  We can hold on to the promises of God.  What is God promising you?  What is God promising for your family?  If you aren’t sure, pray about it.  God promises many things throughout His Word.  Pray for specific promises over yourself and your family.  Then live in expectancy because the enemy has already been defeated!  He has no ground over any area of your life.  Declare your victory and step forward into your Promised Land!


“The thief come only to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”  John 10:10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment