Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

An Uphill Climb

Yesterday was a beautiful, warm and sunny day.  The kids and I spent the afternoon outside walking and playing at the playground.  Last night I woke to the loudest crack of thunder I’ve ever heard.  As I looked outside, the rain was pouring down, the thunder was as loud as if the clouds were right on top of us and the lighting was constantly flashing bright white through the night sky.  Usually I enjoy an occasional thunder storm but not this one.  It was terrible and I found myself praying in order to get back to sleep.  Isn’t this much like our spiritual journey?  One day we can be basking in the warmth of His light and the next we can be going through a spiritual storm, praying just to make it through.  

While the sun was shining yesterday, the kids and I got to spend some time with our friends, Amanda and Isaac.  After we had lunch we went for a walk.  Amanda pushed Isaac in his stroller and I pulled Peyton and Jayden in their wagon.  We walked through town to a country road where things were much quieter and more peaceful.  This road had a hill and Amanda asked if I was sure I wanted to continue because we’d have to turn around and walk back up.  The hill didn’t look so big going down so we went on ahead.  When we reached the bottom and turned around the hill was much longer than I thought!  I could have walked up it fine myself but hauling two kids in a wagon is a different story!  I felt as though with every foot I’d walk, the hill would become only an inch shorter.  I’m sure we’ve all felt this way about something in our lives.  We push on through and feel like the end is only inching closer.  But one thing we must know is that we are not alone.  As we were going along Amanda assured me these things:  if I needed a break, we could take one; if I was willing, we could switch kids; that we were in fact almost to the top.

This is such an important lesson to learn about our relationship with God.  Just like the things Amanda had assured me, God assures us as we are reminded in the following verses:
God will nudge us along when needed, just as a mother bird gently pushes her babies to fly.  He only asks that we press forwards.  He doesn’t pressure us as long as we’re moving forward, whether it be by an inch or by a mile. “I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.”  Philippians 3:14   

God strengthens us by His Holy Spirit (Eph. 3:16).  We are not alone and we do have everything it takes to fulfill what He has called us to do.  We do not need to be burdened and weighed down by the weight of our outside circumstances.  Go to Him for His burden is light and easy.  As many times as you need to, read the verse below and think of what it means to you.   I wrote out the definitions of some of the words so you can better understand what this truly means.  Christ already carried your burdens when he carried the cross upon his back.  He is walking beside you asking you to switch with Him.  He will free you from all things oppressive, worrisome, and bothering you and give you a “light and easy” load.  

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve your souls.]  Take my yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.  For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good - not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.” Matthew 11:28-30

Relief: alleviation of pain or distress
Ease: freedom from pain, trouble, anxiety, effort
Refresh: to give new vigor and energy
Recreation: means of enjoyable relaxation

He is our encourager.  “…we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.  We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf..” Hebrews 6:18-20

Although at times it can feel like we are, we are never alone in our journey.  The Holy Spirit walks along side of us, encouraging us and giving us strength along the way.  Surrender your burdens to Him, push forward (even if only by an inch) and find encouragement in Him and in His promise to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment