Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Emptied

For the past almost 7 years my arms have been full and my hands occupied during worship on Sunday mornings.   For the past several months I have held and sang over my baby boy.  And when he was able to go to the nursery during our Sunday service, my little girl took the opportunity for some Mama time.  A heart to worship is something I long to pass on to her, I see it clearly within her just as it has always been in me.  Sunday mornings she sings along once she has picked up the song and it totally gets me!  Other mornings she lays her head on my shoulder and simply rests there.  There’s something about her in my arms that brings my heart to praise my God even stronger.  Her life is a miracle known to few.  God’s divine hand has protected her time and time again just as it did for me growing up.


“Saving me, keeping me… Wonderful is my Redeemer praise His Name!”

But this Sunday was different, she was Daddy’s girl.  For the first time in a long time my arms were empty.  So were my hands.  And there I was to worship.  So what was I to bring?

What do I bring to My God when I am emptied of all that I know?  

Of all that I find refuge in and comfort under?

I’ve been here before.
Emptied.
Poured Out.
Rung Dry.
And I’ve brought praise.

But as one familiar song ended, another began that I have never heard before.  It was baptism Sunday in the church basement and there was no projector, there were worship folders.  Paper folders that my girl had tight hold of with no intentions of letting go.


What do I bring to My God when I am emptied of all that I know?

Of even my song and my praise?

As I stood there, the song began to play and I quieted myself to listen.


“Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidd’st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come!  I come!
Just as I am and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot, 
O Lamb of God, I come!  I come!
Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe, 
O Lamb of God, I come!  I come!”


What do I bring to My God when I am emptied?

There, in that hymn He answered me.

I simply come.



No comments:

Post a Comment