Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Change of Scenery

Although I’m only still expecting a new little one, life has changed drastically as if he/she has already arrived.  This pregnancy began much differently than the others with sickness and exhaustion a daily burden to overcome.  Taking care of two toddlers while growing a baby proved void of any rest, quiet time or a break for this Mama.  Thankfully, I have entered the second trimester without the sickness which makes life more bearable.  Exhaustion is still a part of every day but I consider it to be expected with two healthy, active little ones and an ever-changing, growing body.

Before this pregnancy I settled into a nice routine.  I would wake up earlier than my children and spend ample time with God in the peace and quiet this home only finds in the still hours of daybreak.  I had my regular devotions and plenty of time to let my soul soak in His Presence, readying me for the day ahead.  As sickness set in and growing my baby required more energy than my body had to offer, the sacred time of my mornings with God faded out of sight.  I knew God blessed us with this child we prayed for but now what was I to do to find His Presence again for this new journey?  I prayed endlessly to have back my mornings but they never came.  Then I spent a weekend away from home and found the silence I had been seeking.  Knowing it was only temporary I asked God to give me an answer to how I was to seek Him and find Him and be filled by Him.  It was there that he whispered to my longing soul - rest in me and enjoy me throughout each day.  It seemed easy enough but it took weeks for this busy-body to figure out just what He meant by resting in Him.

Carrying a growing baby, caring for two toddlers, beginning to home school my oldest in Kindergarten and keeping up with daily chores are everyday happenings that God’s fingerprints are all over if I am willing to look.  This is where I am to seek Him right now and as I do, I am finding Him more and more.  He is even beginning to open up opportunities for me to do some light devotions and read again.  It looks nothing like it did a few short months ago but it is satisfying me fully because it is exactly where God wants me to be.

Thinking of this change of scenery in my life, I know that no matter how often our lives change or how they look that God always desires and makes a way for us to enter into a relationship with Him.  Adam and Eve being sent away from the garden is what I believe may be the greatest, most drastic change for human kind.  Adam and Eve lived in the beautiful Garden of Eden (Hebrew, meaning “delight”).  Imagine, if even possible, what this life was like for Adam and Eve.


“The Garden of Eden was a stunning acreage.  Picture a lush, verdant botanical garden. Truly a perfect environment, created as a place where God could be with Adam and Eve, a perfect home where every need was met, a paradise to be shared with God forever.”

As explained in “The Heart of the Story” by Randy Frazee

Although a part of a perfect environment, God graciously gave them freedom to choose.  Unfortunately they choose to give into a moment of selfishness and sinned against God by taking fruit from the forbidden tree.  This would become known as “The Fall of Man” which we can find in Genesis 3.


“So the Lord banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden a cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.”

Genesis 3:23-24

Now imagine the change of scenery and how Adam and Eve must have felt.  But our God is a merciful God who, although things had drastically changed for these humans, still offered Adam and Eve a relationship with Himself.

“…it was a continuation of God’s perfect plan to continue to be able to live in communion with the people he created….God is as passionate as ever in wanting to live with us and is willing to meet us outside of the garden and walk with us through every experience of life.”

“The Heart of the Story” by Randy Frazee


I tell you this to help you realize that our God is not one who requires us to find a perfect plan in seeking Him (the perfect devotionals, the perfect church, etc.) and stay in that place.  God desires for us to change and grow closer to Him as we navigate through the scenery of our lives.  Our scenery can change for many reasons: a new life being born, a life coming to an end, a new career, a new outlook, change of location, change of seasons and the list could go on.  What may have worked in one season in your life may no longer work in another.  But just like Adam and Eve, we are always given the opportunity to seek out our Father who promises that we will find Him.  “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart.“ Jeremiah 29:13  The opportunity for a relationship with our Creator is always available to us no matter what our scenery may look like.






If your scenery and circumstances are changing, be willing to change and grow along with it.  Pray and ask God to show you the direction you should go to seek Him.  It may be entering a time of rest or it may be a time of focused devotion, but it will be unique to you and your situation.  When you seek Him, you will find peace and fulfillment in His glorious riches and abundant blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment