Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Joining My Day

There’s something about the mornings that is still, peaceful and new for me.  It is then that I find myself able to refresh my soul with time spent with God.  When I get those precious moments in the mornings my days seem to be full of joy and peace beyond my circumstances.

It all sounds wonderful and it actually is wonderful when it happens.  But I am convinced that my little girl has an internal alarm that goes off the moment I find a comfortable place to seek my Father.  It has not mattered what time it is, she never fails!  Now if this was my boy, it wouldn’t affect much.  He likes to be alone until he fully wakes up and enjoys watching a movie and having his own time of solitude.  Not Jayden, she wants fed immediately and the demands continue from then on.  Her voice reaches some amazing decibels.  I have found it to be impossible to continue my quiet time when she is awake.

When do you spend time with the Lord?  What things cause a distraction for you?

“Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.  Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!”  Mark 1:35-37

How comforting to know that even Jesus was interrupted when he went off to pray!   There’s no way of knowing how this moment actually looked but  allow yourself to visualize it.  Jesus just settling in against a tall tree, breathing the crisp morning air, gently running his fingertips across the dew.  Hearing voices in the distance, assuming they are travelers passing by.  Clearing his mind of all thoughts and suddenly a voice piercing the still air announcing “Everyone is looking for you!”

“Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else - to the nearby villages - so I can preach there also.  That is why I have come.”  So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.”   Mark 1:38-39

Considering that these were grown men, if I was in that situation I would have said “Okay, well here I am - I’ll be there when I’m done spending time with God!”  But instead, Jesus got up from his place to do what he was there to do - preach the good news.

What are you called to do?  Are you asking God to join you in this task?  Or do you have a tendency to separate “God’s time” from the rest of your day?

I wonder what my family would think if the moment they came barreling into my “quiet space”, I would jump up and say “Okay, this is what I’m here for - what is it you need?”  I’m not so sure this is exactly how it may begin to look but I need to have a reaction more like my Saviors and less like my own.  God has blessed me with two energetic children and a wonderful husband.  He has called me to raise my children and be a helper to my husband.  It is among the things that I am on this earth to do.  How different my day may turn out if instead of neglecting the needs of my family “until I’m done”, I would simply say to God “My day is beginning, will you join me there?”

You may feel frustrated because others around you speak of their “time with the Lord” but you must know that they are in a different season of life.  Thankfully our God is one of mercy and will meet us just where we are.  His Word promises that when we seek him with all of our hearts, we will find him!  Seek Him and walk in His Presence (Jeremiah 29:13).  Will you ask God to join you in your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment