Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

The Apple of My Fathers Eye

Ever since I was old enough to remember I knew I was the apple of my Daddy’s eye.  He always made me safe, always made me feel loved and special, and I knew he would do anything for me at any cost.  I grew up in church and my parents did a wonderful job at raising their little girl, who (yes, I remember) was a handful most of the time.  

Then I became a teenager.  Those first few years were rough figuring out who I was, what friends were good ones, where I could fit in, all the wonderful (not so much at all) things that go along with becoming a teen.  I would sum up this time as a “battle of the wills” between my parents and I.  I would push my limits to see just how far they could be pushed.  Thankfully my Dad wouldn’t budge.  He had his standards, his morals, our morals, and he stood firm.  I remember him finding a journal my cousin and I shared.  Without going into detail…I was in trouble, a lot of it and with good reason!  I was embarrassed and mad at myself, mad at my dad, mad at my journal, and acted out of my anger.  This resulted in a wrestling match for the record books between myself and my dad.  We laugh about it now but it was not my proudest moment to say the least.  My Dad stood his ground and a lesson was learned that day.

After I realized where my parents stood on certain issues, I was fairly good at making decisions, at least for a teenager.  I didn’t “party” like the other kids, I didn’t “go out” on the weekends, I didn’t even bother to ask because I already knew the answer.  I mostly saw my friends in school and spent the rest of my time with my family.   Although, I do remember a time when my best friend and I found ourselves in a situation we should not have been in.  I am convinced it was through God’s divine protection that we made it safely to our destination.  A local amusement park had an annual event that we were going to with a few boys.  Fast forward to arriving at the park.  Thank God it was an event where our parents would most likely be at as well.  As soon as our feet hit the pavement, we walked as fast as we could to find our father’s.  We found my dad first (although I will admit, I prayed we’d first find hers!) and without saying a word he took us to where our family was.  Then he let the boys know they could leave and helped my friend find her dad.  I was embarrassed and ashamed but ever so thankful for a loving dad who I knew I could run to for protection even when I feared the consequences of my actions.  He never said anything more about it, just gave me a hug, and knew that I learned my lesson.

There was also a time when I remember crying on his lap because my older step-brother chased a boy out of our driveway.  I can’t even imagine what thoughts ran through my dad’s head.  There his little girl was, heart-broken over a boy who, I realized shortly after, was for the best that my brother chased him away.  I’m sure he wondered what happened to the little girl who skinned her knee and curled up on his lap crying because she needed a band-aid.  As hard as I’m sure it was for him to hold me in that moment, he comforted me and let me know that the boy wasn’t worth my tears.  He also reminded me that it was good that I had an older brother who wanted to look out for me.  My dad knew what was best for me and he knew this boy wasn’t the one meant to stick around.  He knew I would one day understand.

When I think of our Heavenly Father, our relationship with Him can be compared to the journey my earthly father and I have been on together.  When we’re born again and accept Jesus as our Savior,  our Heavenly Father picks us up, wraps us in His love, and lets us know that we are indeed the apple of His eye.  We come to know Him as a God of Love.   As our journey continues we all fall down sometimes.  We make mistakes, choose to sin, take the wrong path, and wrestle with God.  A battle rises in us between God’s will and our own.  We find that He will not budge and that He commands us to obey.  At this time we learn that our God is Sovereign.  We eventually find our way and become more mature in our walk with the Lord.  We set our eyes on God and His will for our lives and we continue forward on the path He chooses.  But at times, Satan will trick us into something that looks like “fun” or “good” and we make a bad decision.  What matters then is that the moment we recognize this, that we are able to hit the ground running back to our Heavenly Father who is waiting for us, arms wide open.  Our Father who is capable of making the enemy flee.  Our Father who gently reminds us who we are, where we belong and that we are always loved and forgiven.  We learn that God is our Comfort and Protector.  Then there are the times when we believe we want something but God protects us from ourselves and our own will.  Although we don’t understand why we can’t have this thing or this way, our Father just hold us as we cry.  He reminds us that His plan for our lives is better than our own.  One day we realize our Father was right, He did know best, that thing we once wanted was nothing compared to the greatness He has now blessed us with.  We now learn that our God is the All-Knowing Author.


This Christmas I received a card from my dad that reminded me of what our Heavenly Father has for us.  The card reads “Daughter, There are many gifts that I wish for you at Christmas.  I’d like to give you happiness, but the path that leads you there is one you have to find on your own.  I’d like to give you the gift of wisdom, but that’s something only years of experience can bring.  I’d like to give you success, but that’s something that only has true value and is earned.  But there’s one gift I can give you this Christmas that will always be with you - and that’s the love of a proud parents heart.  Merry Christmas.  I Love You, Dad”  Our Heavenly Father has many gifts that He is waiting to pour into our lives.  Gifts of wisdom, joy, success, prosperity, and more.  In order to receive these gifts we have to be willing to open our hearts to Him and His will.  We have to, every day, choose to follow where He leads.  We have to be willing to allow Him to teach us, discipline us, and help us as we grow.  We have to trust Him as the Almighty God, the One who loves us, the One who is Sovereign, the One who is Capable, and Strong.  We must know Him as our Comfort, our Protector and the All-Knowing Author of our very lives.  No matter where we are in our journey we can know that we always have God’s love!

Whether or not you have a relationship with your earthly father, I pray that you find your place as a daughter/son of the King.  Your Father loves you and is waiting with arms wide open for you to run to Him!  You are the apple of His eye!

“I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer.  Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.  Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadows of your wings.”
Psalm 17:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment