Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

A Tough Pill to Swallow

“Do you and Randy take Fish Oil pills?” my Dad asked.
“Yes,” I answered.
“Well you can have these two bottles,” he said as he sat two packages on the counter near me.  “They’re too big for me to swallow.  I’ve been chewing them but I’ve had enough of that.”

Even the thought of chewing fish oil vitamins leaves a bad taste in my mouth!  My dad never fails to make me laugh.  I tell you this story because what I am going to share with you, like my dad’s fish oil vitamins, is a tough pill to swallow.

As I was listening to the radio recently, a lady shared a piece of encouragement.  She had lost her young boy in a tragic accident.  She shared how she would often pray prayers of protection over her son and after the accident she questioned whether God answered those prayers.  Through time, God revealed to her aching heart that her boy’s true security was in Jesus Christ.  Hearing her thoughts has changed my perspective, even though it’s not an easy perspective to gain.  I can identify with this mother because I too pray prayers of protection over my children and loved ones expecting God to protect them.  But the way I defined that protection was with a tangible protection that I could see.  What happens though, when God’s protection isn’t tangible?  We live in a fallen world, where bad things happen, even to good people.  Our hope should be found in the truth that God sent his Only Son to die for our sins (John 3:16) in order that we may have life eternal.  Our hope should be found in the truth that our God is good and His was are right, above our own understanding.  When a loved one is battling an addiction, is suffering through an injury, or fighting an illness, we should be praying on their behalf but we must trust our God for His plan.  His Word says that he works all (the seemingly good things, the seemingly bad things and everything in between) things for good. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him…” Romans 8:28

Let’s begin to change our perspective.  It is a hard pill to swallow.  It’s something we must “chew on” for awhile although the taste isn’t natural for our human bodies.  If you allow him, God will change your heart and show you His faithfulness. When we pray for others, we need to know that healing and protection may come in more ways than our earthly minds can fathom.  This may be much for some to comprehend and I can’t give you all the answers on what this means but I know that my God can.  Turn to Him, seek Him, find Him and love Him.


“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.”  Philippians 1:20 (NIV)

“Alive, I’m Christ’s messenger; dead, I’m his bounty.  Life versus even more life!  I can’t lose.”  Philippians 1:21 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment