Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

Out in the Storm

Last night we had a severe thunderstorm.  The lightning lit up the sky and it sounded like we were inside of the thunder cloud.  It was raining so hard that it looked as though we were standing directly under a waterfall.  Most small children would have been afraid of a storm like this.   You could have found them hiding under their covers or tucked in bed with their dad and mom.  Jayden was fast asleep but Peyton decided he wanted to go out on the porch!  It was getting very late at night and I almost had taken him to bed but I realized that it was very brave of him to want to be out there.  So out he went!   He stretched out on the porch swing, covered up and laid there watching the storm.  I was inside the door finishing up dishes and I thought for sure he wouldn’t last long by himself.  Later, Randy had looked out to check on him and he had fallen fast asleep!  It was so sweet.

Where are we when God calls us to face something “bigger” than us?  Just like most children in the storms, do we tuck ourselves away in our comfort zone?  Do we feel “no way God, I’m staying right here where I know I’m safe”?  When we run to our spiritual leaders, are they telling us to “go back to bed” or are they encouraging us to go witness God’s amazing work?  Often times we get in our excuse bag and pull out an “I’m too afraid” or an “It’s bigger than me, I can’t do that”.  We think that will take away any responsibility we have to fulfilling the call.  We are missing the bigger picture here!  God won’t call you if you aren’t capable of fulfilling the calling!   He gives us the strength we need in our weakness to walk forward.  We need to take it one step at a time and as we obey at each step He will light the way for the next.  It is so important that during the storms, when God calls - we go.  We can’t hide under our covers of fear.  We need to step out and face it.  When we do we witness God’s amazing work.  His work that is in fact so much bigger than you and me, but God doesn’t want us to miss it.  He wants us to join along side of Him even when we’re afraid.  When we do, we will find rest and peace and comfort within the storm - just like Peyton did!

“Come, behold the works of the Lord…Be still, and know that I am God.”  Psalm 46:8,10

“I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me.”  Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment