Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

OBX 2011: Confident Obedience

After an 8 hour drive through the night, we finally arrived at the Outer Banks!  This was the first time our kids had seen the ocean.  Just like I do anytime a new experience lies ahead, I tried to prepare the kids.  I told them what the ocean would look like.  I also explained to them that although the water could and would be an exciting thing, it could also be very dangerous.  Randy and I set rules for the kids to follow.  One of the most important rules being to listen to Mommy and Daddy no matter what. I told Peyton “you are only allowed in the water with Mom or Dad, you may not go out with anyone else, no matter who they are.”  

We arrived at the beach and changed into our swim suits.  Peyton was ready first so his uncle Mike took him down.  At the beach with them was Randy’s uncle Chris and aunt Sharon.  Sharon and her girls, unaware of the rules we gave to Peyton, tried to coax him out into the water.  Peyton kept telling them no so Sharon asked Chris to give it a try. Chris thought maybe Peyton was scared and that’s why he continually was saying no.  Chris went to Peyton and assured him he would hold on to him and keep him safe.  Then Peyton look at Chris and said “My Mommy told me not to listen to what anyone said but her and Dad.”  At that point Chris new Peyton’s refusal wasn’t out of fear but instead from obedience!  He told him he was doing the right thing and to go ahead and wait for his mom and dad.  

When Chris and Sharon shared this story with Randy and I, I could not have been more proud of our little guy!  Although I would have been perfectly fine with Chris and Sharon taking him out into the water, it amazes me that he stuck his ground and remembered exactly what I said.  How easily he could have made the decision for himself, knowing they were adults, and listening to Chris assure his safety.  

I began to wonder how we obey our Father.  When He lays the ground rules, do we crack under pressure and decide for ourselves?  This is the trap that Satan lays for us.  He coaxes us along, if one method doesn’t work, he tries another.  He assures us of our safety and comforts us.   He tries to boost our confidence little by little until we feel safe to follow him, just like Uncle Chris did with Peyton.  But Peyton knew what his confidence was set upon and it was upon his parents word.   

My prayer for you, as well as myself, is that in those times when Satan is coaxing us along we remain strong.  That we have great confidence and know exactly where it is set - upon the Rock, our Father‘s Word!  When we stand our ground, our Father will come and take us under His wing.  Just as Randy and I did to Peyton when we heard of his obedience, our Father will also praise us.  Nothing makes a parent prouder than when their child stands his/her ground in confident obedience and I know our Father in Heaven feels the same way.

“If you faithfully obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.” Deuteronomy 28:1

No comments:

Post a Comment