Pages

Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

“Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night.”
Phil. 2:15-16 MSG

Monday, January 13, 2014

A Pharaoh of Your Own

After showing a significant amount of reluctance, Moses finally obeys God and takes on the task of speaking face to face with Pharaoh in order to free God’s people (Exodus 3 & 4).  I can’t say what went through Moses mind the first time he walked forward to Pharaoh but I know what I would have been thinking.  “Okay God, you asked me to speak for you and I am about to.  I trust that as I do so, Pharaoh will let the people go.”  I may have had all the faith in the world that it would happen - the first time I asked.

“Pharaoh said, “Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel go?  I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go.”  Exodus 5:3

My heart aches for Moses in this moment!  Mustering up his confidence enough to stand before Pharaoh, uttering the words God told him to say and being denied not once but nine times!  Each and every time Moses demanded “Let my people go!” God hardened Pharaoh’s heart and he refused.  But God had a plan than Moses couldn’t see.

“For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”  Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.”  Romans 9:17-18

All along God had it under control.  How often I have found myself in a similar situation.  God calls me to say, to do, to be, then I choose to follow but find myself facing another pharaoh in my life.  What if I changed my perspective and began to trust that although my answer doesn’t come in the way I expect, that God does have a plan?  I love what “The Heart of the Story” tell us concerning this:

“Even people who do not follow God are used by God to accomplish his plan - even though they don’t often know it.”

Do you have any pharaoh’s in your life?  It may be a person, a circumstance, or a conflicted situation.  

Going back to Moses, after nine refusals and ten plagues (where God shows himself undeniably powerful) Pharaoh finally let’s God’s people go.  This looks like our happy ending but God isn’t finished yet, He wants to prove Himself even more so (Exodus 14:4).  Not even Moses himself could have prepared for what was about to happen!  As the Israelites traveled, they headed toward the Red Sea.  It was there that they found the Egyptians pursuing them after Pharaoh has changed his mind.  “Pharaoh’s horses and chariots, horsemen and troops” (Exodus 14:9) on one side and the Red Sea on the other.  Impossible odds, right?  Not with the God I serve!  Through Moses, the Lord parted the Red Sea and allowed the Israelites to pass through.  When the Egyptians began crossing the water went back to their place and killed every single one of them! I think of the song I heard so often as a little girl - “What a mighty God we serve!”

“Can you imagine the depth of their joy to be free?  Or their gratitude to God for doing what appeared to be the impossible?  Maybe you have a pharaoh… It may feel like this personal pharaoh is completely in charge of your life, enslaving you to its harsh demands.  Do not lose heart.  Don’t give up, no matter how the odds seem to be stacked against you.  Just remember…it may appear as though Pharaoh is in control, but your plight has not surprised God as he reveals and enacts his (plan) for your life.  He is completely in charge, fully in control.”
-The Heart of the Story





When we choose to align our lives with God, he promises to work it out for the good.  He will provide a way for you to cross through the Red Sea that you face.  God always provides a way even when the odds look impossible to us!

“Be strong and take heart , all you who hope in the Lord.”  Psalm 31:24



No comments:

Post a Comment